925 Silver Square Navaratna Ring
Width: 1.8 cm
Length: 1.2 cm
What is Navaratna?
Simply defined, Navaratna is equivalent to "nine gems" in Sanskrit and Hindi. This concept has been found in almost all Asian cultures dating back, in some cases, to hundreds of years ago.
SYMBOLOGY AND HISTORY
The symbology, although complex, has been associated with royalty and majesty. Under Emperor Akbar, during Mughal rule over modern India, his favorite artists and courtiers were known as his "navaratnas" and they played a key role in the reputation of Emperor Akbar as a patron of the arts; a reputation he still holds today as one of India's best known patrons.
WHAT IS ITS LINK TO ASTROLOGY?
It is believed that an individual's life is dominated by astrology. Long before his birth, the alignment of the nine planets or "navagrahas" will determine the outcome of his life. The wearing of navaratna jewelry offers astrological advantages and has an impact on the alignment of its navagrahas.
WHAT ABOUT THE NAVARATNA JEWELRY?
Each piece of jewelry in Navaratna is directly related to each of the navagrahas. According to the Vedic texts, the core texts in Hinduism, the nine jewels have been identified as follows:
- Sun symbolized by a Ruby;
- Moon symbolized by a natural pearl;
- Mars symbolized by a natural red coral;
- Mercury symbolized by a natural emerald;
- Jupiter symbolized by a natural yellow sapphire;
- Venus symbolized by a natural zircon;
- Saturn symbolized by a natural blue sapphire;
- Rahu symbolized by a Hessonite;
- Ketu symbolized by a cat's eye.
There are no rules for dictating which metal should be used for Navaratna jewelry. At Khazana, we specialize in 925 sterling silver jewelry and therefore use that.